This is my favourite grilled chicken recipe, ever! I learned it from an 80-year old chef who ran a restaurant called Bua Tong in Wichien Buri district in the north of Thailand. It’s famous for its char-grilled chicken. Check out my visit to the restaurant in this video, and learn to make it yourself with this recipe.
1 kg marinated chicken (a whole bird, cut in half and flattened, or some thighs and wings) - use my chicken marinade recipe to get the right authentic flavour
3cm piece of galangal, sliced
3 lemongrass stalks, finely chopped
6 garlic cloves
4 coriander roots, or stalks, finely chopped
- Pound or blitz the galangal, lemongrass, garlic, and coriander into a paste.
- Rub the paste all over your marinated chicken and leave in the fridge for an hour or so.
- Preheat the charcoal grill or oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4.
- Place the double-marinated chicken directly on the grill or in a roasting pan and roast for roughly 40 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. To check if it's done, pierce the chicken with a skewer and make sure the juices run clear.
- Serve with a side salad, like mango salad or som tam, and some grilled vegetables.